Tuesday, April 15, 2014

pops program

For those that don't know you can ask for pops program for free speech therapy and occupational therapy in Canada. The caveat  being cut off is five years old.  Which as special needs mom is really frustrating. Most like myself don't know until later in life around 4 years that there is anything wrong. I addressed issues with pediatrician since he was twin said he will find his words. He's still young. But he didn't and because of that by the time I discover supports most were no longer available. Anyhow that was my rant. Luckily in time frame I had I signed him up for some speech therapy and occupational therapy covered under ohip. It friendly uses toys to help develop language. He actually looked forward to weekly therapy. Each child has about ten blocks. But in short time and incredible progress. By no means is he "cured of autism" which in my opinion isn't a thing. I hear that phrase a lot but I hate that expression it like implying child is broken. Which I don't believe he is. But his speech has improved a lot and he happier boy now he can talk. Here is link to program. I don't drive but here is pic of us on the road to appointment.Since it was little early in morning I had to take them both. Here link to program to those who are interested. I took them for lunch after for doing an awesome He had improved eye contact and speech. He actualy doing alot better in school. I think it mostly because of work done with this program. Even better I had referral from pediatrician of speech delay so I was able to get speech therapy and they  refered me to get full assessment for more supports at school. But I didn't need full assessment to start.  . http://www.trilliumhealthcentre.org/programs_services/womens_childrens_services/childrensHealth/specialized_childrens_services/paediatricOutpatientServices.php



No comments:

Post a Comment