Friday, March 14, 2014

The My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete


My Brother Charlie

The story is about Twins Callie and Charlie have a lot in common, but they are also very different: Charlie has autism. Callie narrates the story, describing what autism is and exploring the issues that come along with it. The theme is of love, patience, and acceptance. Endnotes give a few basic facts for children unfamiliar with the disorder. The authors, a mother-daughter team, based this story on personal experience. Evans's bright, mixed-media illustrations skillfully depict the family's warmth and concern. This book really speaks to me because. When my son Gabriel was struggling with his speech; I didn't know how to explain to his twin brother Aiden what was going on. Gabriel was still is same class as Gabriel then and he didn't know why Gabriel had a hard time talking. I read tons kid books there were a few that spoke only of negative aspects of autism. But this book talked about love as well as strengths and weaknesses relating to autism. I found this book at library first time I read it, I was moved to tears. So I ordered copy and read to my son. It is a favorite in my collection every time family asks “what is autism?” I show them this book.  It was written by mother of child with Autism Holly Robinson. it is great read highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Charlie-Holly-Robinson-Peete/dp/0545094666 she even donate part of proceeds to help families access speech therapy.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Charlie-Holly-Robinson-Peete/dp/0545094666 she even donate part of proceeds to help families access speech therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment